Chondroseal is a Gel-Type Autologous Stem Cell Implantation (GTASCI). It is an innovative product, composed of cultured autologous Adipose-Derived Stem Cells, combined with a special natural gel that serves as a scaffold for local cartilage regeneration in the joint. The treatment of cartilage defects of the joint has been challenging because articular cartilage has a poor healing capacity as a result of its lack of vessels, nerve supply and its isolation of systemic regulation. Chondroseal represents a true innovation for the treatment of articular cartilage defects.
- Collection of a small amount of adipose tissue. To completely eliminate the need for hospitalization, we have developed a novel, proprietary minimally invasive methodology for the isolation of stem cells from adipose tissue: a small punch biopsy (5mm) is collected from the abdominal area of the patient.
- Proliferation of the cells: The stem cells are then expanded for approximately 3-5 weeks to obtain an adequate amount of cells.
- Rejuvenation and priming of stem cells: During the expansion of stem cells, we use a special, internally developed technology, to enrich the final cell preparation with cells that contain healthier (longer) telomeres. The application of this methodology leads to a final cell population that is composed mainly of younger and therefore more potent stem cells. Additionally, through the use of this technology, the stem cells are activated (“primed”), so that they possess an enhanced chondrogenic potential (they have an improved ability to regenerate cartilage tissue).
- Transplantation: On the day of the procedure, Chondroseal is sent to the surgeon. In the course of a small surgical intervention, the stem cells-containing product is transplanted into the affected cartilage, where it adheres to the damaged area. Within a couple of minutes following its application, Chondroseal forms a gel that serves as a matrix for the 3-D development of the transplanted cells and the formation of new cartilage tissue in a natural way. This new cartilage connects itself to the healthy cartilage parts and remains biomechanically resilient, pressure-resistant and comparable to a healthy cartilage over a long time.
- Rehabilitation: After the transplantation, an approximately three-day hospitalisation is suggested. At this point, special rehabilitation training begins, until the full weight-bearing functionality of the joint is reached. The partial weight-bearing ability gradually increases within the first six weeks. During this time, the patient can already perform activities of daily living. Starting from the seventh week, the weight-bearing increases up to the full weight-bearing.
Features of the treatment
- 4th Generation Gel Type-Autologous Stem Cell Implantation (GTASCI) without the use of any membrane or periosteum
- Arthroscopic treatment – minimal pain and post-operative marks
- Short operating time
- Short hospitalization time
- Distributes stem cells more evenly in the defective area
- Stabilizes chondrogenesis
- Bioabsorbable material
Application: Knee cartilage defects, Ankle cartilage defects, Intervertebral disc herniation and degeneration